This is my go-to week night dish. I honestly think I end up eating it about once a week on nights where I don’t really feel like “cooking” or I get home late. It is super easy, tasty, filling and healthy! This recipe shows lentils but I have made it with almost every type of bean you can imagine: black, white, garbanzo… use whatever you have in the house!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 1-2 tsp garlic
- 1 package mushrooms, sliced
- 1 – 2 bunches kale
- 1 can (15 oz) or approx 2 cups of homemade beans of your choice (photo shows lentils)
- Seasoning: I usually use a combo of spicy paprika, salt and pepper but I have also used taco seasoning when making with black or pinto beans or curry when using garbanzo. You need approx 2 -3 Tbsp of spice and then salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat olive oil in a pan. Add onion and cook until fragrant and then add sweet potato. Saute approximately 6 minutes or until sweet potato starts to become tender.
- Add in garlic and mushrooms and saute until mushrooms are cooked.
- Add kale, beans and spices and continue to cook until sweet potatoes are cooked through, mushrooms are tender and kale is wilted.
- Season to taste and serve.
Serving suggestion: Often times I serve this over a bed of arugula and put sliced cherry tomatoes on top 🙂