I will be a on a plane returning from Europe this Fourth of July so instead of a fun themed recipe (you’ll get that next year!), you get a tried and true favorite salad of mine which will be a nice balance for all those savory and sweet treats you will find at your BBQ’s. This salad screams summer and is very easy to make. If possible, try to use fresh corn, it really makes a difference. Happy Independence Day my friends.
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 2 ears yellow or white corn, shucked and kernels cut from the cob (about 1½ cups)
- 1 pound asparagus, cut into 1½-inch pieces
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Place the lemon juice in a medium bowl and slowly whisk in the olive oil. Add the mint and set aside.
- Make an ice bath in a large bowl by combining 3 cups of ice with 3 cups water; set aside. In a large pot of boiling water, add a tablespoon salt. Add the corn kernels and the asparagus and boil until just tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. Strain in a colander and place into the ice water. When completely cool, strain again.
- Place in a large bowl, add the cherry tomatoes, reserved dressing, salt and pepper. Mix well and serve chilled or at room temperature.
Photo Credit: iVillage