I am not much of a milk drinker but I recently wanted to make a green smoothie. I have to say, I was a little disappointed when I went to my health food store and looked through the almond milks only to see a large list of ingredients, even on the most natural brands! I decided to give it a try on my own and unless in a bind, I can’t imagine ever not making my own moving forward. This homemade milk tastes so much better and you don’t have to worry about all the added ingredients! I cannot wait to taste these with my homemade vegan cookies!
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 3.5 cups water, preferably filtered
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp cinnamon (1 tsp if you really like cinnamon like me)
- 1 Tbsp agave nectar (optional – can omit or add more depending on sweetness you prefer)
- Soak raw almonds in water for 8-10 hours.
- Mix all ingredients in a high speed blender.
- Strain milk through a fine mesh strainer.
- To get even more milk, use a cheese cloth or other thin cloth. Place almond meal in the cloth and ring out any added milk.
P.S.Interested in drinking more green smoothies? Check out the free Simple Green Smoothie 30 Day Challenge. I met Jadah in New York last weekend as she was speaking at an event where Scott was also speaking. She is awesome and I love what she is doing so in April, I’ll be making a green smoothie every day! Register if you want to join me, it’s FREE!