Our friends Alissa and Drew had us over for dinner not too long ago and sent us home with some cookies. My ears perked up when Alissa told me that they were gluten free, dairy free and free of any added sugar. And then my taste buds certainly perked up when I bit into one! Not only are these the best vegan/gluten free cookies I have ever tasted, they are some of the best cookies I’ve ever tasted, period! I don’t see any reason to ever make another chocolate chip cookie… this one is healthier than most and is oh-so good. I’ve made them about 4 times since she had us over a month ago :).
- 1½ cups almond flour/meal
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ⅔ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup honey, maple syrup or agave nectar (maple syrup or agave for vegan)
- 1 “flax” egg (1 T. ground flax + 3 T. water) or 1 organic egg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup chocolate chips – feel free to up to a whole bag for more chocolatey goodness
- ⅓ cup flaked coconut (unsweetened)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. If using a flax egg, mix together and set aside.
- Combine almond flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix peanut butter, honey/maple syrup, egg and vanilla.
- Add almond flour mixture gradually until a dough forms, then fold in chocolate chips and coconut.
- Scoop dough by the tablespoon onto a cookie sheet, spacing cookies at least an inch apart.
- Bake for 11-12 minutes or until set.
Thanks to Alissa and Peas and Thank You for the inspiration!