As many of you know, I am a juicer. I love to juice every morning and when I am traveling or away from home, I definitely miss my green juice. Green smoothie’s seem to be a bit easier to find while traveling (although you usually have to modify quite a bit!) so I decided to give them a shot at home and have my green juice as an afternoon snack. I’m actually pleasantly surprised with how much I have come to enjoy the morning smoothie and how satisfying it is. I usually eat something alongside my morning juice but just the smoothie seems to keep me going all morning long.
Anyway, the first couple of smoothies I made were just ok – and I’m not looking for sweet as I don’t even use fruit in my green juice, but they all tasted a bit bland. So I began experimenting and by Friday I came up with my favorite recipe yet! It is filled with awesome detoxing ingredients and you have the ratio of 3:1 veggies to fruits, which I think is important to really keep the smoothie alkalizing. Homemade almond milk recipe can be found here.
- 1 cup almond milk (can use water or any other milk of choice)
- 1 frozen banana (we just keep a bag of them in our freezer)
- 1 green apple or 1 cup of pineapple (sub 1 piece or 1 cup of any fruit you’d like, add another piece or cup of fruit to make it sweeter)
- 1 cucumber
- 3-5 stalks of kale
- 1 handful of spinach
- ½ cup parsley
- 6-8 ice cubes
- 1-2 Tbsp hemp, chia or flax seeds
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Dash of cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients into a blender or vitamix. Mix well.
- Serve and be green!