I am hosting my book club this week and couldn’t be more excited that it is Halloween week because it means I get to bring out all my Halloween favorites. Straw-Boo-ries, Spooky Seven Layer Dip… I’m excited just thinking about it! But no Halloween holiday is complete without the addition of another themed item.
I’ve learned the versatility that deviled eggs have in theming food at Easter and during the Superbowl. So this week I plan to add these spider deviled eggs to my menu. Thanks to Sunset for the inspiration!
- 1 dozen hard-cooked eggs, peeled
- 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt mixed well with 4 tsp dijon mustard (can also use ½ cup mayonnaise)
- ⅛ teaspoon ground red pepper
- Kosher salt to taste
- Olives for garnish (requires 24 olives)
- Cut eggs in half lengthwise; carefully remove yolks.
- Mash yolks; stir in yogurt mixture and red pepper until blended.
- Spoon yolk mixture evenly into egg white halves.
- Sprinkle evenly with desired amount of salt. Garnish, if desired.
- Cut pitted black olives in half lengthwise and nestles one half on top of an egg for the body, and then cut the other half crosswise into thin slices to form the legs.
- Chill until ready to serve.