For those of you who are not familiar with Kris Carr, you should become familiar…quickly. Her story is incredible! She was diagnosed with a very rare and incurable form of stage 4 cancer which encouraged her to make a total lifestyle upgrade inside and out. She focuses on a nutrient dense, plant-based diet and her books (and now her recipes) are so much fun. Her cookbook came out not too long ago so it’s no surprise that my girlfriends thought it would be the perfect hostess gift for me – thanks ladies of WC! The reason I like this kale salad so much (other than the fact that I am obsessed with kale) is that it uses avocado to give it such a great texture. It a modified version of her salad in the book and is oh so yummy (and super easy to modify to make your own)!
For new and improved recipes, please visit my new site The Simple Kitchen!
- 1 bunch of kale, shredded by hand (I prefer dino)
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- 1½ avocados, pit removed and chopped
- 2 Tbsp flax oil
- 1½ Tbsp lemon juice (fresh is best!)
- 1 cup diced bell peppers (I prefer orange, yellow or red over green)
- 1 cup pea shoots, chopped in half
- 2 cups of sunflower sprouts, chopped in half
- Sea salt to taste
- Cucumber, sliced (for serving, see picture)
- 2 Tbsp pepitas
- Combine kale, parsley, avocados, flax oil and lemon juice in a bowl. Massage and mix with hands to wilt the kale and cream the avocado.
- Add the bell pepper, pea shoots, sunflower sprouts and salt and mix to combine.
- Serve on a plate and wrap with cucumber slice.
- Top with pepitas.