We enjoyed a drink with our dear friends Joel and Shanna the other day and what came up? Food, eating and recipes we enjoy, shocking I know! This recipe is courtesy of Tim Ferris and we actually enjoyed it at a dinner we had with him a few months back but I totally forgot about it until our friends reminded us of it. This recipe is an awesome alternative anytime you feel like a potatoe-y goodness but want a bit fewer cals and carbs. It tastes delicious and given that is it pretty much all vegetables, it is packed with a ton of nutrients and is quite filling. Last night we made some homemade curry and put it over this. It was phenomenal!
- 1 small head cauliflower (about 1½lbs), roughly chopped
- ¼ cup cashews, chopped (soak for 30min up to 8 hours prior to making)
- ¾ cup unsweetened coconut milk (feel free to use a light version if you’d like)
- 2 Tbsp water
- ¼ tsp curry powder
- Ground cinnamon
- Soak cashews for 30 min to 8 hours. Not required but suggested for a creamier mash.
- Place cauliflower, cashews, coconut milk, salt and water to a boil. Reduce heat cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle in curry and a dash of cinnamon. Mash with fork or immersion blender until it is a mashed potato like consistency. Add more salt, cinnamon or curry as needed.
- Serve as a side with your choice of topping, or top with anything of your choice!
Photo Credit: Detoxinista