Happy 2013!!! This is a modified version of a soup from Andew Weil, as I found his recipe a bit bland and not hearty enough for my tastes. It has so many health benefits and happens to taste delicious. Just a few of the benefits are listed below:
Sweet Potatoes: They are a good source of Vitamin C and D, which play an important role in digestion, maintaining the skin’s youthful elasticity helping us cope with stress and overall health. Sign me up!
Tumeric: It is a natural liver detoxifier and one of the most potent natural anti-inflammatories available. It also has powerful antioxidant properties that fight cancer-causing free radicals.
Cayenne Pepper: The hotness produced by cayenne is caused by its high concentration of a substance called capsaicin. which has been widely studied for its pain-reducing effects, its cardiovascular benefits, and its ability to fight inflammation.
- 1 onion
- 1.5 lbs sweet potato
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 cup corn
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 1 quart veggie broth
- 1½ lb zucchini, sliced
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp coarse salt
- 2 (4oz) cans diced green chilies
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans
- 1 (15oz) can light coconut milk
- Heat broiler and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Toss potato, onion, corn, carrot, garlic, and oil in a large bowl. Arrange vegetables in a single layer on prepared sheet and broil, tossing once halfway through, until browned, about 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a dutch oven or medium pot, add oil and leek. Cook until leeks are turning brown. Turn off heat. Add 1 quart veggie broth.
- Transfer broiled vegetables and stir in zucchini, spices, salt, beans, chilies and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes.
- Once everything is cooked through, stir in coconut milk Place and then transfer 2-4 cups (depending on how thick you like your soup) to a blender and pulse a few times. Pour this mixture back into the original soup pot and stir until mixed evenly.
- Serve and enjoy 🙂