There is a nice contrast between the hot filling and the cool crisp lettuce… all combined with a crunch from the final few ingredients. It is incredibly healthy and incredibly delicious.
Vegan Lettuce Wraps
- For Sauce
- 1 tsp five-spice powder, divided
- ½ cup soy sauce or (braggs liquid aminos for gluten free)
- 3 tablespoons oyster-flavored sauce
- ½ teaspoon arrowroot
- 1 Tbsp chili garlic sauce
- For Filling
- ½ cup farro (use quinoa for gluten free version)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 package (15oz) soft tofu, drained
- 4 cups mushrooms, diced
- 2 cups bean sprouts, chopped in half lengthwise
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced
- 1 can water chestnuts, drained
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 head of butter lettuce
- Cook farro (or quinoa) according to package directions.
- Make sauce by combining ½ tsp five-spice powder with remaining ingredients and whisk together. Set aside.
- Heat oil and cook shallot until fragrant and it starts to be come transparent.
- Add block of tofu and smash with a wooden spoon until it becomes small chunks. Season with remaining ½ tsp of five-spice powder. Cook until slightly browned, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook until tender.
- Meanwhile prepare lettuce wraps, but removing butter lettuce leaves and setting aside.
- Add cooked and drained farro and sauce. Cook for a few more minutes until mixed together.
- Finally add bean sprouts, water chestnuts, cashews and scallions. Mix together and then remove from heat.
- Spoon a bit of the filling onto a plate with a side of the butter lettuce leaves. Make individual wraps at the table in order to not have lettuce get soggy.