The avocados are ripe, fresh and delicious right now, let’s get down to business! A big thanks to my dear friend Alli (and Ina of course), who introduced me to this recipe during one of our monthly supper clubs. I have to say, usually I am not a fan of sweet and savory combos (mango salsa, yuck!) but I do have a liking for fruit in my salads. And this one is not only super simple, but also raw, vegan and gluten free!
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup good olive oil
- 4 ripe avocados
- 2 large red grapefruits
- 3-4 cups butter lettuce or arugula
- Handful of toasted pepitas or sesame seeds (optional)
- Place the mustard, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until the vinaigrette is emulsified.
- Before serving, cut the avocados in ½, remove the seeds, and carefully peel off the skin. Cut each half into 4 thick slices. Toss the avocado slices in the vinaigrette to prevent them from turning brown. Use a large, sharp knife to slice the peel off the grapefruits (be sure to remove all the white pith), then cut between the membranes to release the grapefruit segments.
- Atop a bed of arugula, arrange the avocado slices around the edge of a large platter or individual plates. Arrange the grapefruit segments in the center. Spoon the vinaigrette on top, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and serve.
Serving Suggestion: If you like a little cheese, try some feta or a hard cheese like parmesan or pecorino.
Photo Credit: About.com