That time has come. I’ve gone from shopping for dresses to wear to weddings to shopping for dresses to wear to baby showers…. Earlier this year, I attended a pot luck baby shower for my dear friend and as I am sure you can imagine, got very excited about the what I could bring to this event. Well this is a simple, healthy and adorable dish you can make next time you attend or host a baby shower. Enjoy little ones!
- 1 medium watermelon
- 5 toothpicks
- 4 orange slices
- 4 lime slices
- 2 cups seedless red grapes, divided
- 1 medium cantaloupe, cut into balls
- 2 cups seedless green grapes
- 2 cups halved fresh strawberries
- With a sharp knife, cut a thin slice from bottom of melon it sits flat. Lightly score a horizontal line halfway up sides and around the melon, leaving 5 in. from one end unmarked on each side for baby carriage hood.
- For hood, make another line around top of watermelon, connecting both sides of the horizontal line. Using the rounded edge of a biscuit cutter as a guide, mark a scalloped edge along all straight lines. (Can also just do straight edge here). With a long sharp knife, cut into melon along the scalloped lines, making sure to cut all the way through the melon rind. Gently pull off rind. Remove fruit from melon and removed section; cut fruit into balls or cubes and set aside.
- For the U-shaped handle, cut out a 5-in. square from the removed section of rind. Cut out the center and one end, leaving a 1-in.-wide handle. Break one toothpick in half. Attach handle to watermelon with toothpick halves.
- For wheels, position orange slices at base of watermelon and attach with toothpicks. To each orange slice with a lime slice and a red grape.
- In a large bowl, combine the cantaloupe, green grapes, strawberries, remaining red grapes and reserved watermelon. Spoon into baby carriage.
Serving Suggestion: Use any fruit of your choice!
Thanks Taste of Home for the idea!