Avocados are incredibly healthy but if you are like me when it comes to guacamole, it is pretty easy to eat the equivalent of four avocados in one sitting… That’s where this recipe comes in handy (and just in time for Cinco de Mayo)! Not only does adding green vegetables to the avocado reduce the fat content but it also boosts the nutritional value of the guacamole. Grab some homemade chips and enjoy!
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 medium avocado
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime or lemon juice
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 medium red or sweet onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno or serrano chile, seeded and minced
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- In a blender or in the bowl of a food processor, process the peas until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, mash the avocado with a fork or potato masher. Add the juice, tomato, onion, jalapeño, cilantro, garlic, salt, and black pepper. Add the peas and mix well.
- If the guacamole won’t be served immediately, press a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the surface to prevent browning.
Variation: Instead of peas, use 1 cup well-cooked broccoli, edamame, or cooked asparagus tips.
Photo Credit: Simply Recipes