Black Quinoa is a fun alternative to normal quinoa as it gives your dish a fun look. I made this the other night for my book club and the first compliment I got was on how good it smelled (thanks Alli) followed by several compliments on the taste. It is super easy to make for a big group and most importantly can be made ahead of time which is great when you are entertaining! You can find my homemade pesto recipe here.
- 1 cup dry black quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 2 cups sliced grape tomatoes
- 1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1½ – 2 cups pesto (more if needed)
- 2 cups fresh basil, chopped
- ¾ cup feta cheese (omit of looking for a vegan version)
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Olive oil (drizzle as needed)
- Combine the water and quinoa in a medium sized pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and let cook for about 15 minutes, or until the quinoa has absorbed all of the water. Fluff with a fork and add stir in spinach while quinoa is still warm. Stir in pesto once spinach is mixed in.
- In a large bowl, combine the sliced tomatoes and cucumber. Add quinoa and basil and mix well. Drizzle olive oil and lemon juice on top and add feta cheese. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss everything together. Serve immediately or store in the fridge until serving.
- Serving suggestion: Can use any combo of veggies bell pepper, olives, zucchini, etc.
Recipe modified from Eat, Live, Run.