My dear and very classy friend Alli hosts an Oscar party every year. She pulls out all the stops, red carpet included, so amongst our group of friends it is one of the most highly anticipated events of the year! That being said, there is no question that each year, I am thinking far in advance about what I can bring to this star studded affair. Sometimes it is fun to theme your appetizer or drink to the nominees but this is one that you can use year after year. By the way, you can check out Alli’s blog here. Beware, it will change your life!
- 2½ cups soy milk or water
- 1 thyme sprig
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 1 garlic clove
- Fine Sea Salt
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 1 cup polenta or fine yellow cornmeal
- Homemade recipe can be found here
- Pine nuts or shaved parmesan
- Line an 8-inch square cake pan with parchment paper, and cut another piece of parchment to the same size.
- Place the milk or water, thyme, rosemary, and garlic in a pot over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper, and simmer for 5 minutes. Strain the milk into a bowl; discard the garlic and herbs. Return the milk to the pot and place it over low heat. Add the polenta in a slow stream while you whisk it in vigorously with the other hand. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring often, until smooth.
- Pour the polenta into the prepared cake pan, and spread it out in an even ½-inch-think layer. Cover with the other piece of parchment and refrigerate for about 1 hour. Cut the chilled polenta into 20 rounds with a star shaped cookie cutter.
- Meanwhile prepare pesto according to directions.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a pan and saute polenta stars until slightly crispy on either side. Top with pesto and garnish of your choice.
Notes: You can always use premade tube version if you don’t have time or don’t want to make your own.