I cook with tofu a lot so I am always looking for ways to make it a little more fun! I’ve baked, breaded, marinated but this was my first time crusting with sesame seeds and I was very pleasantly surprised. I modified based on the veggies I had in the house, but the idea for the recipe goes to Eating Well.
Average Time: 50-60 minutes
Tofu and Marinade
1 package (14 oz) extra firm tofu, drained
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated or minced
1 tsp reduced sodium soy sauce
1 tsp mirin
1tsp chile-garlic sauce
1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil (regular sesame oil or just olive oil will work as well)
1/2 cup water or vegetable broth
3 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 Tbsp mirin or sherry
2 tsp chile-garlic sauce
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp toasted sesame oil (regular sesame oil or just olive oil will work as well)
2 Tbsp sesame seeds
1 Tbsp olive oil, divided into 1 tsp and 2 tsp
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
1 1/2 lbs bok choy, trimmed and very coarsely chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
1 bunch broccolini, sliced
1 bunch scallions, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1. Combine garlic, ginger, soy sauce, mirin, chile-garlic sauce and oil in a bowl. Cut the drained tofu into 1-inch cubes. Add to the marinade and toss to coat. Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
2. To prepare sauce: Whisk water (or broth), soy sauce, mirin, chile-garlic sauce, cornstarch and oil in a small bowl. Set aside.
3. To stir-fry tofu & vegetables: Toss the tofu with sesame seeds in a large bowl. Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the tofu and cook, turning often, until golden and crusty, 8 to 10 minutes. Cover and keep warm.
4. Heat 2 tsp oil in a wok or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and ginger; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add vegetables; cook, stirring, until the vegetables are crisp-tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
5. Make a well in the vegetables; whisk the reserved sauce and add to the center of the pan. Bring the sauce to a boil, stirring, until slightly thickened. Toss the vegetables with the sauce. Transfer to a large shallow serving bowl and top with the tofu.
Serving Suggestion: Serve over top of quinoa, brown rice or grain of choice.